Formal Definitions: "*-jective"
- Of or having to do with a material object.
- Having actual existence or reality.
- a. Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices: an objective critic.
b. Based on observable phenomena; presented factually: an objective appraisal.
- Medicine. Indicating a symptom or condition perceived as a sign of disease by someone other than the person affected.
- Abbr. obj. Grammar. a. Of, relating to, or being the case of a noun or pronoun that serves as the object of a verb. b. Of or relating to a noun or pronoun used in this case.
- Something that actually exists.
- Something worked toward or striven for; a goal.
- Abbr. obj. Grammar. a. The objective case. b. A noun or pronoun in the objective case.
- The lens or lens system in a microscope or other optical instrument that first receives light rays from the object and forms the image. In this sense, also called object glass, objective lens, object lens.
- a. Proceeding from or taking place within a person's mind such as to be unaffected by the external world. b. Particular to a given person; personal: subjective experience.
- Moodily introspective.
- Existing only in the mind; illusory.
- Psychology. Existing only within the experiencer's mind.
- Medicine. Of, relating to, or designating a symptom or condition perceived by the patient and not by the examiner.
- Expressing or bringing into prominence the individuality of the artist or author.
- Grammar. Relating to or being the nominative case.
- Relating to the real nature of something; essential.
Copyright © 1995.
~ ~ ~ Send